An Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Badge of Approval signifies that a self-published or independently-published book has been crafted to the standards expected from major publishers. This shows readers that they can trust that the book is a professional product worthy of their attention. After receiving the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Badge of Approval, books that we consider outstanding will be considered for the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Seal of Excellence.
As stated on the Our Mission page of this website, our purpose is to Identify and honor self-published or independently-published books that meet the standard of books published by major mainstream publishers. Recent research has revealed that despite its common usage, mainstream publishers do not yet recognize the contraction of “all right” as a proper word. If you have used the non-standard contraction “alright” in your book, we recommend changing it prior to submission.
Awesome Indies Book Awards’ assessors (all editors, educators, or authors with formal qualifications in creative writing, literature, editing, or journalism) approve books that are well-written and engaging at every level. They must have been edited and proofread to a professional standard, have correct formatting, and appealing cover design. Furthermore, two industry-qualified assessors have to agree that the book warrants approval. Once approved, the book is listed on the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ website, and the writer may display the badge on the book cover and the writer’s website for all to see. (Learn more about our criteria).
If you think your book might qualify, we invite you to submit it for consideration.
To prevent our reply from ending up in your spam folder, please add email@example.com to your address book.
Please note that this is NOT a review request, but a submission for Awesome Indies Book Awards’ approval. Your submission will be assessed under each of the following requirements:
- The book has been edited and proofread to a professional standard and is free from errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- The book is correctly formatted for fiction;
- The cover looks professional;
- The plot is well structured, well-paced, conceptually sound, and engaging;
- The characters are well developed and their dialogue and interactions with others are believable;
- The book is not overwritten or unnecessarily wordy; for instance; no obvious dumps of information, unnecessary repetition, or irrelevant scenes;
- Changes in point of view are clear;
- The prose is well written and engaging. Where appropriate for the genre, voice, and intention, the story is shown rather than told and the writing active rather than passive.
It is not always necessary for the assessor to evaluate the book as a whole should there be significant failings in the early chapters. Please note that written assessments or reviews are a by-product of the process, not the point of it. You are submitting to find out if your book is worthy of Awesome Indies Book Awards Approval.
Our assessors are NOT required to review the book. However, the assessor might provide a short report to explain the reasons behind his or her recommendations.
Although Awesome Indies Book Awards does not charge a submission fee for assessments, assessors may contact the writer directly to negotiate a professional fee for correcting errors. This will be a private arrangement between the writer and the assessor and will be independent of Awesome Indies Book Awards and will not guarantee approval as the book will need to be resubmitted for assessment.
Google and other search engines return a 1-star rating against any title on the Awesome Indies Book Awards Website that does not have a star rating on our website book pages. To avoid this, books receiving Awesome Indies Book Awards Approval will be listed on the website as having 4 or 5 stars.
How to apply for Awesome Indies Book Awards approval.
There is no charge for submission. However, assessment depends on the availability of suitably qualified assessors, so Awesome Indies Book Awards cannot guarantee that your submission will be assessed.
- We appreciate that some authors will be disappointed when the book fails to gain Awesome Indies Book Awards approval. To maintain the integrity of Awesome Indies Book Awards, all reported grievances will be examined. However, Awesome Indies Book Awards will NOT reply to any correspondence that the administration team deems to be offensive, derogatory, defamatory, rude, or insulting.
- Books approved by Awesome Indies Book Awards’ assessors or awarded the Awesome Indies Book Awards Seal of Excellence will be listed on the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ web site with links (provided by the author) to wherever the book is on sale.
- Where the assessor notes any minor error in punctuation or spelling, the author will be asked to correct these before the book receives approval.
- Where the book falls below the required standard, the assessor may recommend changes. Some assessors also offer independent professional editing services, which may improve your submission. (see Manuscript Appraisals.)
- Books considered outstanding will be considered for the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Seal of Excellence.
The purpose of Awesome Indies Book Awards is to assess the quality of self-published or independently-published fiction. The star-rating associated with reviews is not usually an indication as to a book’s quality. A badly-written, poorly-edited book might have a string of five-star reviews because of its appealing style or storyline, but such a book would not receive Awesome Indies Book Awards approval, Although Awesome Indies Book Awards does not provide reviews, regardless of whether the book is approved, our assessors may post a review on Amazon or elsewhere.
What’s in it for you?
If your book receives Awesome Indies Book Awards approval:
- You will receive a computer-generated image of the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Badge of Approval, which you can use on your book cover. There is also a separate badge for use on your website.
- Your book will have its own product page on the website with a link to its Amazon page that works across multiple countries.
- Notifications of approval will be posted on our website.
- A customized short-link to your book page on this site will be posted on Twitter with the #AIBk and #aiba hashtag. We encourage all Twitter users to retweet any approved book with the #AIBk or #aiba hashtag, so your book might reach a greater number of Twitter followers.
- Approved Books will be considered for the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ Seal of Excellence, which is awarded only to the most outstanding works.
- When your book is approved, your name will be added to the AIBA General Mailing List which is administered by MailChimp. You can unsubscribe from this list, but the opportunities for FREE promotion apply only to approved books by authors who remain on the mailing list.
- Books by authors who remain on the mailing list and have a Twitter account will be added to the AIBA Twitter feed for extra promotions.
- Authors who remain on the mailing list and have a Facebook account will be invited to join the private Authors’ group. If you join this group, your book may then be selected as the AIBA “Book of the Day” and receive additional FREE promotion through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumbler.
- Additional free promotion through this website is available for promoting special events and book signings.
- The opportunity—though it is not required—to be involved as a volunteer at Awesome Indies Book Awards. (Please note that this does not guarantee that your next book will be approved.)
- Assessments are editorial in nature. We assess how well your book has been written and edited, not whether or not we like the story.
- We reserve the right not to assess or list any publication we consider socially irresponsible.
- Unpublished books may be submitted for approval. They must, however, be in Kindle or PDF format and be submitted with a cover image. If you want detailed feedback, you can book a manuscript appraisal which will be done using a Word file.
- It is the author’s responsibility to provide us with the correct file clearly labeled. We will not re-assess a different file if you sent us the wrong one.
112 total views, 2 views today