Evaluations for Awesome Indies Book Awards are based on editorial assessments by what we call ‘publishing industry professionals’. These are people who know more about the craft of writing than your average reader. They might have degrees in English Literature, Creative Writing, Journalism or Linguistics or other qualifications in writing or editing.
Specifically, our assessors must:
- understand our criteria;
- be able to evaluate books against our criteria in an objective fashion;
- be well read in mainstream books so that they know what would be considered an acceptable standard by a mainstream publisher;
- be aware of stylistic differences that impact on the weight given to various aspects of the criteria.
For us to be sure that those recommending books do have this kind of knowledge and understanding, we ask that our recommendations come from people who:
- have a degree or certificate in Creative Writing, English Literature, linguistics, editing or Journalism;
- are an editor or publisher who is, or has been, employed in that capacity by a mainstream publishing house;
- are an Awesome Indies Book Awards approved reviewer. These reviewers must have demonstrable knowledge of writing, produce comprehensive reviews that demonstrate a clear understanding of our criteria and, preferably, have extensive reviewing experience.
It’s not easy to find assessors with these qualifications, and this makes it frustrating for authors who want their book evaluated for the list. Gaining approval from Awesome Indies Book Awards is an important confirmation of quality for authors as well as readers,
In order to continue this exemplary service, if you have the prerequisite qualification or experience, Awesome Indies Book Awards needs your help.
If you think you have what we’re looking for and would like to be an assessor for Awesome Indies Book Awards, please complete the enquiry form on the contact us page.
Awesome Indies Book Awards accepts only free submissions, thus no payments are made to assessors. However, suitably qualified editing professionals will have the opportunity to promote their services on the Awesome Indies Book Awards’ website.
The assessor will not be required to read more than necessary to reach a fair conclusion as to the book’s quality. For example, you might be allocated a book that is littered with errors in the opening chapters! However, you should only recommend a book for approval if you have read and assessed the complete book including the front and back page material. On receipt of a submission, details will be posted on a private Facebook Page that is viewable only by approved assessors. Assessors can either elect to receive the book by leaving a comment, or if they wish to retain anonymity, they can apply for the submission by sending an email to email@example.com
Also note that there is a strict code of honesty among our assessor team, and this code is applied to all books no matter who is the author or what their qualifications are. That will apply even when, or especially when, you are one of our assessors! if your book falls below our standards, it will not be approved!
We are aware that such assessments or criticisms can often attract rude, offensive, or derisory criticism from disgruntled writers. It is important to the reputation of Awesome Indies Books Awards that we maintain the highest standards of integrity. Thus all complaints, observations, or criticisms are investigated. However, almost all such correspondence will be dealt with by the administrator, so the assessor will only be contacted if necessary to clarify a point in issue. Unless the assessor makes direct contact with the writer, all sssessments are made anonymously, so the assessor is unlikely to receive direct correspondence from the writer.
Please read the criteria for evaluation. (More details on the criteria can be found here.)
- Awesome Indies Book Awards’ assessors are primarily looking for books that are well written and engaging, and that have been edited to a professional standard.
- In Brief:
- The book is correctly formatted for fiction;
- The cover looks professional;
- The plot is well structured, well paced, conceptually sound, and engaging;
- The characters are well developed and their dialogue and interactions with others are believable;
- The book is not overwritten or unnecessarily wordy; for instance; no obvious dumps of information, unnecessary repetition, or irrelevant scenes;
- Changes in point of view are clear;
- The prose is well written and engaging. Where appropriate for the genre, voice and intention, the story is shown rather than told and the writing active rather than passive;
- The book has been line edited, copy edited, and proofread, with the grammar, spelling and punctuation usage consistent throughout.
If you’re interested in becoming an Awesome Indies Book Awards assessor, please complete the contact form and let us know your qualifications ..