Another Author Snapshot sharing the author’s tools.
- Ceramic cat money bank with no money but lots of space in it. My daughter wanted to throw it away but it has such an earnest expression that I had to keep him. My real cat chews his ears.
- Surface Pro 2 computablet and Acer lap top. The big one is for editing, website maintenance, money management and so on—business stuff—and the little one goes where I go, so I can write almost anywhere anytime, like the couch or the bed in the middle of the night. It also has my blog calendar on it. Sometimes I work on the Acer and have social media happening on the Surface Pro. I’m a great multi-tasker.
- Tibetan Buddhist Shrine. I meditate for 5 mins before I start work, and it helps clear my head when I look at it during the day. People say I’m a very calm person; this could have something to do with it.
- Pillow for the cat to sit on and stare out the window at the lizards playing on the porch.
- HD colour printer that I rarely use. It came free with my daughter’s Macbook Pro and replaced an old XP Dell whose drivers never quite worked in with Windows 7. A felt rose sits on the top.
- Ancient phone fax machine. I use when dealing with the NSW Department of Education and Workcover—don’t ask.
- Satellite modem. I live in the bush, beyond mains power and cable broadband. The satellite is slow and expensive, but the National Broadband Scheme is supposed to fix that next year. Cough cough.
- Glimpse of the rainforest at the end of the garden. You can see the woodshed too. We have only solar and water-generated power, so our wood fire is what keeps us warm in winter.
- Prince George, the cream Burmese cat that sits on the pillow when he isn’t actively trying to stop me writing.
I’m thinking that a top of the line Surface Pro with an external monitor for when I’m at my desk might do the one computer fits all trick for me when my present laptop dies. It works as a tablet as well as a full scale, high scpec computer.