Post updated 10th April 2016
With the plethora of independently published books of varying quality on the market, the discerning reader needs a way to find those that are well-crafted. In order to assist readers in that search and to give authors recognition of their book’s quality, the Awesome Indies lists books that meet the same standards as mainstream books.
Evaluations for the Awesome Indies list are based on editorial reviews by what we call ‘publishing industry professionals’. These are people who know more about the craft of writing than your average reader. They may have degrees in English Literature, Creative Writing, Journalism or Linguistics or other qualifications in writing and editing.
Specifically, they must:
- understand our criteria;
- be able to evaluate books against our criteria in an objective fashion;
- be well read in mainstream books so that they know what would be considered a publishable standard by a mainstream publisher;
- be aware of stylistic differences that impact on the weight given to various aspects of the criteria.
For us to be sure that those recommending books do have this kind of knowledge and understanding, we ask that our recommendations come from people who:
- have a degree or certificate in Creative Writing, English Literature, linguistics, editing or Journalism;
- are an editor or publisher who is, or has been, employed in that capacity by a mainstream publishing house;
- are an Awesome Indies recommended reviewer. These reviewers must have demonstrable knowledge of writing, produce comprehensive reviews that demonstrate clear understanding of our criteria and preferably have extensive reviewing experience. They are approved after a period of training if we find that their understanding and reviews are satisfactory.
It’s not easy to find assessors with these qualifications, and this makes it frustrating for authors who want their book evaluated for the list. Gaining a place on the Awesome Indies is an important confirmation of quality for authors as well as readers, and they don’t want to have to wait months for an evaluation.
So we need your help.
Would you like to be an Awesome Indies assesor?
If you aren’t interested in being and Awesome Indies assessor yourself, you can still help. Simply SHARE THIS POST.
If you would like to help out, please fill in the form below. If you know someone who may like to help, please send them this link and ask them to consider helping us.
We offer a small reading payment, but you must also be willing to occasionally read some books without payment – you don’t have to finish them if they’re terrible. Many of our reviewers elect not to receive a reading fee. The choice is yours where it is offered.
Also note that there is a strict code of honesty among our reviewing team, and this code is applied to all books no matter who the author is or what their qualifications are. Even if, or especially if, you are one of our assessors, if your book stinks, you will be told so – nicely, of course.
If you think you have what we’re looking for and you’d like to become an assessor for the Awesome Indies, please fill in this form.
Please read the criteria for evaluation first. (More details on the criteria can be found here.)
- Our reviewers are primarily looking for books that are well written and engaging, and that have been edited to a high standard.In Brief:
- The book is correctly formatted for fiction;
- The cover looks professional;
- The plot is well structured, well paced, conceptually sound and engaging;
- The characters are well developed and their dialogue and interactions with others are believable;
- The book is not overwritten or unnecessarily wordy; for instance; no obvious dumps of information, unnecessary repetition or irrelevant scenes;
- Changes in point of view are clear;
- The prose is well written and engaging. Where appropriate for the genre, voice and intention, the story is shown rather than told and the writing active rather than passive;
- The book has been line edited, copy edited and proofread, and the grammar, spelling and punctuation usage is consistent throughout.
If you’re interested, please contact us and let us know what your qualifications are and why you’d like to join our team in this capacity.