The Awesome Indies Mission
We aim to:
- Identify and honor independently published books that meet, or improve on, the standard of books published by major mainstream publishers and their imprints.
- Promote and support Awesome Indies Approved (AIA) authors and their books,
- Raise the standard of independent publishing,
- Assist authors to achieve quality,
- Raise the image of independent publishing among readers.
- Operate ethically in all aspects of our endeavors.
What is the Awesome Indies?
The Awesome Indies is an indie book accreditation service that approves independently published works of fiction that meet the same standards as books published by mainstream publishers – as evaluated by publishing industry professionals. We aim to showcase books that meet a specific set of standards for fiction writing so readers can browse for indie books knowing they will be buying well-crafted works.
Who does the evaluations?
Publishing industry professionals is a term we use for those whose employment in a mainstream publishing house, past or present, as editors or publishers indicate that they know what standard of writing is considered a publishable product for a traditional publishing house. Other people deemed to have this knowledge are those with degrees in writing, editing or literature, or reviewers with a background of writing study whose quality of reviews indicate such a knowledge. Our reviewer’s qualifications can be found on our Reviewer’s page.
What is evaluated?
The criteria are explained in detail on the ‘Explanation of the Criteria’ page which includes links to further information on each point.
Our reviewers are primarily looking for books that are well written and engaging, and that have been edited to a high standard.
- The book is correctly formatted for fiction;
- The cover looks professional;
- The plot is well structured, well paced, conceptually sound and engaging;
- The characters are well developed and their dialogue and interactions with others are believable;
- The book is not overwritten or unnecessarily wordy; for instance; no obvious dumps of information, unnecessary repetition or irrelevant scenes;
- Changes in point of view are clear;
- The prose is well written and engaging. Where appropriate for the genre, voice and intention, the story is shown rather than told and the writing active rather than passive;
- The book has been line edited, copy edited and proofread, and the grammar, spelling and punctuation usage is consistent throughout.
How is the evaluation made?
Books must gain a 4 or 5 star rating from one of our reviewers plus one from another reviewer who meets our criteria for qualified reviewers. Please visit the submissions page for details of how to submit your book for listing on the site.
How many books sold, how many positive reader reviews and how many years or books a writer has been writing are irrelevant to our evaluation process. The evaluation is made entirely on whether or not the book meets the criteria for approval.
What does the site do for authors?
- It gives authors whose books are accepted the confidence that their work is of the same standard as those published by a mainstream publisher
- It gives those whose work is not accepted guidelines as to how they can improve. In some cases this can be very specific help, especially where a book just misses out. These authors are encouraged to re-edit then resubmit. Many authors have accepted this challenge, have greatly improved the quality of their product and been added to the Awesome Indies list on re-submission.
- We promote approved books.
- Authors of approved books can join a community of other authors of quality books for support and joint promotions
Awesome Indies Team
The Awesome Indies is a volunteer not for profit organisation. Administration fees for services covers costs and provides a small incentive for those who run the site to continue to do so.
- Coordinator: Tahlia Newland
- Submission and review administration: C.J
- Publication of daily posts and reviews: Brian Sfinas
- Seal of Excellence Submission administration: Mary Maddox
- Webdesign: Ruthanne Reid
- A dedicated team of reviewers.
Our Definition of Indie
Independent authors do not depend on someone else to decide whether or not they can express their voice in the world. They may self-publish or choose a small independent publisher as the vehicle for publication.
No matter what method of publication they use, they maintain a high degree of control over the product.
The Awesome Indies site does not claim to be anything other than a site listing books that meet a certain criteria. Books not listed on the site are not necessarily inferior, as the author may not have submitted their books to the site for whatever reason. We recognize that though we try to be objective in our evaluations, we are by no means perfect.
To support this site, please make a donation by clicking this link and/or purchase our books.