Welcome to the Awesome Indies listing of quality independent fiction.
IF YOU HAVE AN AD BLOCKER ON YOUR BROWSER YOU WILL NEED TO TURN IT OFF TO SEE THE LIST
Click on a book cover to read the book’s information and buy it from Amazon in either Kindle or paperback format, or find other sellers by clicking on the author’s name on our Author page. Our list is like the shelves of an online book store that stocks only top quality indie fiction.
Our blog posts book reviews, announcements of our award winning authors, cheap ebook deals and free ebooks. You don’t have to wonder if that free kindle book is worth downloading because we only list the best kindle books. This is where you’ll find the top indie authors and some of the most exciting fiction available today.
Books listed here are of the same quality of craftsmanship as books published by traditional publishing houses. This is determined by one or more reviewers with the following qualifications.
- Someone with a degree in Creative Writing or English Literature.
- An author, editor or publisher who is or has been employed in that capacity by a well-known traditional publishing house.
- An Awesome Indies recommended reviewer – see the Reviewers page for the list of names. The minimum qualification of these reviewers is that they have demonstrable knowledge of writing, produce reviews that demonstrate clear understanding of our criteria and preferably have extensive reviewing experience.
Further details can be found on the About page
The books on this list fulfill the following criteria.
An Awesome Indies book will be properly formatted (this applies to ebooks only. We don’t evaluate the printed version), have no, or few, copy errors and the prose will meet the following criteria. (More details on the criteria can be found here.)
- the plot is well structured, well paced, conceptually sound and engaging.
- the characters are well developed and their dialogue and interactions with others are believable.
- the book is not excessively wordy, particularly, no rambling descriptions, dumps of information, unnecessary repetition or irrelevant scenes.
- changes in the point of view of the writing are clear; specifically, in third person close POV, no confusing quick jumps from the thoughts of one character to another and back again. (head-hopping).
- the writing is immediate and engaging. This means that the story is generally shown rather than told, and the writing is active rather than passive, eg doesn’t overuse forms of the verb, ‘to be’.
- the grammar, spelling and punctuation are correct for the author’s country of origin.
The Awesome Indies Seal of approval
We also award the Awesome Indies Seal of Approval for excellence in fiction to books where several qualified reviewers agree on their suitability for the Seal. Please see our Seal of Approval page for specific details. The Seal appears on covers as a pure gold version of the above Seal.
No system is foolproof, so if you find a book listed here that you think should not be on this list, please let us know by filling in the contact form . We will have the book reviewed again. Before contacting us though, please check the criteria for inclusion. You may not like a book, but that doesn’t mean that its writing is poor quality .